Does the color of the gag matter ?

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

ghostz

Does the color of the gag matter ?

Post by ghostz »

I always was wondering if the color of the gag of the damsel actually matters or not. Does it enhances her figure more, is it assorted because of the clothes she is wearing... so I made a small thread of some damsels from the 3 video types where we usually discover them: cartoon, anime and hentai; with some familiar damsels (i'm not mentioning the show and there names because we already know them) wearing gags in various colors (from the classic white to checkered ones).
Help out and tell your opinion ~ DOES COLOR MATTER OR NOT ?
FOR ME SOMETIMES YES.

Cartoon
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Anime
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hentai
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hope you like it. And don't forget DOES COLOR MATTER ? :D
didlove

Re: Does the color of the gag matter ?

Post by didlove »

well... i think it is but sometime i am not focus on it but now that you mentioned it your right it is :)
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Only if the color clashes with something in the picture, is too busy so as it's distracting, or camouflages itself so you don't recognize it as a gag. Often a colored gag, as opposed to standard white, can even help a picture. That Zatanna pic is a good example.
Catwoman: Think you can handle me?
Batman: I've got handcuffs.
Catwoman: Ooh.
somedude37

Post by somedude37 »

I enjoy all colors for gags, and I think anything can look good really in the right situation. I'm really fond of the classics like white and gray, or other "musty"-looking colors, which just seem to have a more "muffling" quality about them. I think it's hard to ever go wrong with one of those. But any color gag can look great on a damsel under the right circumstances. Black gags can be quite sexy-looking for instance (ala Rowanne's above), or even something as light as the pink one that Constance got in the Anime Sanjushi scene, which I always thought worked really well on her there. So while I love the classics, I also like to have some variety in gag color sometimes. It would get boring to see the same colors every single time, so I'm glad that there's plenty of gag color diversity out there.

The only thing that I usually find a bit disappointing is when a gag is made the same color as the damsel's clothes. I generally like to have a clear contrast between the gag and what she's wearing. Somehow it just draws your eye to the gag more and makes it stand out better I think, whereas a same or similar color gag doesn't demand as much attention. That said, I still find that Hana no Ko Lun-Lun scene shown above really attractive, even though it's all purple there, so the gag color isn't ever a dealbreaker for me.

Bottom line is that gag color is not the most important thing for me. There are more important qualities for a gag, such as style, how well or poorly it's drawn, how tight it looks, etc. The perfect color is just icing on the cake sometimes. :)
lostonezero

Post by lostonezero »

I'd say it matters a lot :) Too dark gags make you lose lot of details. In some cases a more discreet color works very veyr well, and white always works nicely for me :) Then sometimes some unusual colors create the great contrast that makes the difference. Constance gag works gerat as was already mentioned, and same for the last one in the anime pics :)
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

I'll say the color doesn't really matter but it is nice to see a different color gag every now and then. I do LOVE the pink gag on Constance in the Anime Sanjushi episode. It's like Milady picked out the perfect compliment for her dress and hair color!
ARNie

Post by ARNie »

Shouldn't this be in the Animation section?
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

It's more a discussion topic than a scene alert or presenting a scene. So here's fine.
somedude37

Post by somedude37 »

I'd say it matters a lot Too dark gags make you lose lot of details.
You do have a point there LOZ. Especially with a pure black gag, it can be hard or almost impossible to maintain the visibility of those wonderful "gag lines" we all like seeing so much. You usually can't make out the finer details like the impression of the damsel's lips under the cloth, or her nose if it's an OTN. I do enjoy seeing those lines a lot because it's sexy to see the damsel's facial impressions under the cloth, so that can be a drawback to very dark gags.
TheVampirePrincess

Post by TheVampirePrincess »

I believe it does because different colors help to create contrast, for characters with light skin, a dark color is best for it unless they have dark hair or the same color as their clothes. It's art 101.
mailbagfan

Post by mailbagfan »

I prefer for gags to be white. I think it makes the creases on the gag material stand out better.
"Like they say, the chick's in the mail!"
TheVampirePrincess

mailbagfan wrote:I prefer for gags to be white. I think it makes the creases on the gag material stand out better.
Unless the character has pale skin. Personally, I prefer darker colors. I'm not too crazy about creases.
mailbagfan

Post by mailbagfan »

Really? I like creases because they show how tightly the gag is tied.
"Like they say, the chick's in the mail!"
TheVampirePrincess

mailbagfan wrote:Really? I like creases because they show how tightly the gag is tied.
Yeah, sometimes I do. Although to me, contrast is the most important thing.
bondagefan14

Post by bondagefan14 »

lostonezero wrote:I'd say it matters a lot :) Too dark gags make you lose lot of details. In some cases a more discreet color works very veyr well, and white always works nicely for me :) Then sometimes some unusual colors create the great contrast that makes the difference. Constance gag works gerat as was already mentioned, and same for the last one in the anime pics :)
LOZ has said it best, so I definitely agree. the type of gag matters a lot more then the color of the gag to me personally..
That said, I generally prefer tape gags over OTM/OTN gags. they fill the same purpose, and a lot more effectively at that.