What makes good gag manipulations?

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

BlackClarent79

Re: What makes good gag manipulations?

Post by BlackClarent79 »

Well, if it's from an uncut edition, be sure to post it up ghostz.
Yami

Post by Yami »

ghostz wrote:if i check it again... either this gag was a manipulation made by someone, or the anime ep differs from version (cut and uncut)...since in this pic she has the gag on... and here while she is falling the gag is off

I don't think that's a manip. It looks real to me.
TheVampirePrincess

Post by TheVampirePrincess »

yeah, from what i've heard, that's a 1 second long shot of Suo gagged.
BlackClarent79

Post by BlackClarent79 »

[urlhttp://postimg.org/image/layiolggv/]Image[/url]
Here's a manip I did of Otsuu from Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-Tachi, in Episode 10 when it's shown she's bound in a warehouse. I believe I've made my stance that it was a goddamn wasted opportunity, so I've decided to rectify that.

I hope you guys enjoy it!
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

Outlines need work, but not bad.
Fuck yeah, Gundam SEED is coming back!
BlackClarent79

Post by BlackClarent79 »

Aquarionoid wrote:Outlines need work, but not bad.
Thanks! I had to original outline the piece of tape over her hair, so that's probably why they're a bit wonky. Plus, I can't use Paint on a Mac, so I'm using Paintbrush.

How would you recommend I improve?
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

Upload the picture to Pixlr and use the blur tool on the gag. If you want tares on the sides draw with the pencil tool rather than straight lines.

Also, I finally found a decent picture of Emi for those that remember my tutorial.

Last edited by Aquarionoid on April 19th, 2018, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck yeah, Gundam SEED is coming back!
Yami

Post by Yami »

A little improvement on one of the Fresh Beat spy's image. http://imgur.com/zK2Az8Z
Nephenthal

Post by Nephenthal »

Since we are sharing manips, here is one I did of Mamori who I always wanted to see gagged because she is so cute. One of my Top 50 anime/video game characters too. Too bad this didn't happen to her, but it would have been nice if it did. I do manips in my spare time. I have done quite a few that I have on my HD though i have never posted them for public to see.

The program I use to do manipulations is GIMP though I use the older version since I hate the newer GIMP.

ghostz wrote:if i check it again... either this gag was a manipulation made by someone, or the anime ep differs from version (cut and uncut)...since in this pic she has the gag on... and here while she is falling the gag is off

Hmmm... Not sure about this and I have been wondering myself. Either that is a really good manipulation like the one I did or that's from the uncut version of the anime and is one of those blink and miss scenes that you need like FRAPS to capture. I will have to look into that myself.

songokussjannin8000 and Drachirus are not bad. I personally prefer Drachirus though songoku has made some pretty decent manips.
Last edited by Nephenthal on December 13th, 2015, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackClarent79

Post by BlackClarent79 »

Nephenthal wrote:Since we are sharing manips, here is one I did of Mamori who I always wanted to see gagged because she is so cute. One of my Top 50 anime/video characters too. Too bad this didn't happen to her, but it would have been nice if it did. I do manips in my spare time. I have done quite a few that I have on my HD though i have never posted them for public to see.

The program I use to do manipulations is GIMP though I use the older version since I hate the newer GIMP.

Hmmm... Not sure about this and I have been wondering myself. Either that is a really good manipulation like the one I did or that's from the uncut version of the anime and is one of those blink and miss scenes that you need like FRAPS to capture. I will have to look into that myself.

songokussjannin8000 and Drachirus are not bad. I personally prefer Drachirus though songoku has made some pretty decent manips.
Can you tell us how you do your manips? It could help the rest of us given that yours are pretty good!
Nephenthal

Post by Nephenthal »

TheVampirePrincess wrote:yeah, from what i've heard, that's a 1 second long shot of Suo gagged.
Well, the problem is is you get a clear shot of the gag falling off right as he loses her out of his hands before she hits the ground. When they move back to her frame her eyes are closed and the gag is already off.

Either that's a from the uncut version, because I checked frame by frame not being to find that frame anywhere or it's a really good manipulation like the one I did. Hopefully someone can find the uncut version if there is one. Regardless, it's nice to actually see her gagged.
Hypercat-Z

Post by Hypercat-Z »

I added an effect to one of my manipulations and this is the result:
Yami

Post by Yami »

Hypercat-Z wrote:I added an effect to one of my manipulations and this is the result:
That's incredible. Great job.
TheFalcon12

Post by TheFalcon12 »

Ieon wrote:Never been big on manips since so many of them are just editing gags on scenes that make no sense. Yours falls in that category, but I don't mean to offend you by saying that or anything. I just think it's weird. The other thing I'm not a huge fan of is using parts of other people's art for the manips. For example, your examples aside from Hypercat just cut out gags or tape bindings from LoZ's or MB's work, stick them over the mouth or around the body and call it done in most cases.

Trying to match the lighting of the original work and making it make sense in the context of the image or the most important thing. For me anyways.
My favorite manip is the following done by Hachi from an Oreimo mask promotion:
Before:
After:
He cut the original background, extended the mask, drew ropes that match the lighting on the character, adjusted/drew new arm positions and the places they were originally covering, and even threw in a tear to slightly change her expression.
Obviously that's a ton to ask for most people, but that's what I'd classify as a "good" manip. Again, none of this was meant to offend.
Does this artist have a gallery somewhere?
BlackClarent79

Post by BlackClarent79 »

Does anyone know how to draw new arm positions and ropes?