I fail at coloring!

Please drop a line here and maybe introduce yourself. We're back folks.

Moderator: Suicide

Aquarionoid

I fail at coloring!

Post by Aquarionoid »

Constructive criticism requested, please

Time for another one of those "Aquarionoid gets a gag-related request from /a/'s draw boards and shares it with unsuspecting members of the Western Civilization" topics. Over the weekend a drawfag/friend was willing to do simple requests so I asked for Sailor Venus and Sailor Mars in tape gags. That artist actually drew my request and a non-gag variant! View here:

http://img.booru.org/drawfriends//image ... 551471.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img.booru.org/drawfriends//image ... a17a55.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently I am requesting these be colored by people that know what they are doing, but I figured this would be a good exercise to see if I could color basic drawings using Pixlr. I started with the non-gag version (obviously). Had to add some more lines to the hair to close the gaps. The blur tool came in useful for filling in white spots and changing the opaque setting on the paint brush helped with the eyes (in fact I will try to do something similar next gag manip).

After that I used the wand tool to move the gags over, holy fuck those outlines were hard to get over. They come in three colors to boot! (it would have been four, but I'll do brown another time)

Fuck yeah, Gundam SEED is coming back!
Yami

Re: I fail at coloring!

Post by Yami »

I say you did a pretty good job on the coloring.
SnidelyOne

Post by SnidelyOne »

It still looks pretty good. White gaps are pretty well covered up all things considered; the eyes could use some more white to them though, admittedly. All in all pretty good effort though! ^^
deviantART page: http://snidelyone.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

I appreciate the feedback you two, anyone else care to say anything?
Suichiro

Post by Suichiro »

You really need to get yourself an image editor that at least has basic overlay capabilities. GIMP is free and can do the job decently enough. You'll never get anywhere trying to fill in the white parts of a black and white image. Instead, you're going to have to color over the linework on a different layer, and let the layer blending allow the black artwork lines through.

I did these mostly because I was frustrated seeing the unclean color flats.
Added unique tape gags because I am also frustrated at seeing tiny grey squares.
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

Thank you, Suichiro. :)
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

Bumping this ancient thread because I worked fuck knows how many hours. So recently I got a request delivery from the /a/ drawthreads featuring the main female trio from Kaze no Stigma which was delivered in a pretty good albeit minor flawed lineart. No I did not request for their shoes off.

https://drawfriends.booru.org/index.php ... &id=108965

After a few weeks for waiting for the drawfriend to finish I up and did the coloring myself. So many layers and transparencies and filters and aaaaaaaahhhhhh! Here's the results, I could really use a color guide.

Here's a ref for one of them (yes I know the delivery doesn't have her twin tails).

Edit: Why is this in the welcome section?