Avengers

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

bunnydelic

Avengers

Post by bunnydelic »

So, it's a fun, noisy movie. Not exactly deep and the rhythm is a bit over the place (strange for Whedon) but there's some GREAT character moments and some great clever (and dumb) jokes.

-Watch Cap and Thor first if you can, it helps.

-Stay after the credits for the A2 villain.

-The Natasha DiD is longer than the clip released by the way!

-And for LOZ, barefoot ms. Potts.
cresent34

Re: Avengers

Post by cresent34 »

Isn't that getting a little ahead of ourselves? Every time that's happened the 'first' flick bombed.

(Yeah, still smarting over the failure of John Carter.)
Good Night and Good Luck..

---Edward R. Murrow, See It Now, CBS
---Keith Olbermann, Olbermann, ESPN2
erikson

Post by erikson »

cresent34 wrote:
Isn't that getting a little ahead of ourselves? Every time that's happened the 'first' flick bombed.

(Yeah, still smarting over the failure of John Carter.)

the way this film is tracking (already breaking records over seas) I doubt this film is gonna bomb, and that is not wish fullfilment, as a die hard DC fan and Batman fan I'm having trouble seeing how DKR beats it this summer.

and I already saw the images from the after credits scene, people are saying it bodes ill for WB using a certain villain for their hoped for Justice League film since the villain in the Avengers clip is a character ripped off of the DC character, and audiences not knowing this would accusing WB of ripping off Avengers.
Karyu

Post by Karyu »

An excellent film, as much as I hate 3D I have to say it made the film just that little better, however if you can't/don't want to stump up the extra then its still fine. Its actually fake 3D also (big letdown for such a big budget film).

Pretty much every character has their moments, even Hawkeye and Black Widow for only being human get their badass shots/poses in and some of the jokes used made the whole (very large) room laugh! Maria Hill has a nice little part too.

The best part though - FINALLY a Marvel film with a great finale battle that doesn't end abrupt/cheap/cop out etc.

Although the film had a couple of small problems the one thing that stood out - A guy is caught playing Galaga - surely it should have been a Capcom game? =P
laura silverman

Post by laura silverman »

WOW!!! So I still think both of Nolan's Batmans are better films but wow, with Avengers, for the first time, it actually felt like I was watching a comic book. :D Like I was actually watching a 6 or 12 issue story arc in the Avengers comic. Every other comic book movie before this has taken the comic book 'elements' and then felt it necessary to 'adapt' them to a more 'approachable' movie storytelling style. Probably because the filmmakers first loyalty was to the art of cinema over the art of comics or they couldn't help but see the comic book source material in movie terms or just that they simply didn't have as great a respect for comics as they did for film.

So, THANK YOU Joss Whedon!!!! :D He got it. He's written comics for Marvel and he had the vision and the guts to make a comic book movie unabashedly for comic book fans. It's big and bold and colorful and epic in scale. And it's not afraid of being outlandish or unbelievable. I mean, it does have a comic book's faults- its a bit shallow and glossy and earnestly predictable but that's also its strength. And I mean, it's just SO MUCH FUN!!! :D

Sorry for droning on like this but I just came back from seeing it and it's got me on such a high! I'm dying to hear what others here who've seen the movie but haven't made their views known thought of the movie.

And oh yes, favorite character- HULK. By a mile.... (And it doesn't hurt that, HANDS DOWN, he's got the best damn moment in the movie! If you've seen the movie with a packed audience you know EXACTLY what scene I'm talking about! :lol: )

Edit- okay I should clarify and say superhero movie instead of comic book because of 300 and Sin City.
bunnydelic

Post by bunnydelic »

Loki's staff: blue Infinity Gem (of Mind) - that's why it helped Loki mind control people?
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

My sole complaint was that Chris Evans could have been a little more assertive as Captain America. And I thought he did so well in the Captain America film.

Robert Downey and Scarlett Johannson were the stars of this film, and Mark Ruffalo was very good as Bruce Banner. The script was another Joss Whedon balancing act between staying true to the original and augmenting it, just like in Star Trek and he pulled it off just like Star Trek. His action scenes are still a little too cluttered for full visual impact.

Overall, I'd give the film a 9.5 out of 10. Personally I'd like to see a Black Widow film now.
Catwoman: Think you can handle me?
Batman: I've got handcuffs.
Catwoman: Ooh.
bunnydelic

Post by bunnydelic »

Bill K. wrote:Personally I'd like to see a Black Widow film now.
A Cap film about Winter Soldier involving her would be nice too!
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

Freaking amazing. That was a comic book on screen. In many facets one of the finest action movies I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. My Dad literally said he can die happy (not that he's close to it :P) now that he's seen an Avengers movie done right.
just like in Star Trek and he pulled it off just like Star Trek
You're think of JJ Abrams on Star Trek. But an easy mistake to make given their similar styles and semi-equal standings in nerd culture.
Bill K.

Post by Bill K. »

Ack! You're right. Abrams did Star Trek.
Catwoman: Think you can handle me?
Batman: I've got handcuffs.
Catwoman: Ooh.
ARNie

Post by ARNie »

Bill K. wrote:Ack! You're right. Abrams did Star Trek.
That's okay, everybody makes mistakes.

Like the proofreader of the movie credits for The Avengers, for example.
http://kotaku.com/5908082/the-avengers- ... -hollywood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rider28031

Post by rider28031 »

This was easily one of the best comic book films ever made. I'm still a huge Batman fan and I love the Nolan films but this film shows that just the right casting, director, and script are what it takes to make a superhero team movie.

Props to Joss Whedon!
http://m.kotaku.com/5908069/three-cheer ... -the-world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
erikson

Post by erikson »

great film! better than I expected...all the fans outside north America missed the best scene though at the end of the credits XD

It's not my favorite superhero film, but is definitely the best Marvel film so far, and I'm happy Sam Jackson finally convinced me he is Nick Fury! His outings in the role before this were awful, maybe Whedon should write all his scenes from now on