Herd Immunity on the Way?

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

Suicide

Herd Immunity on the Way?

Post by Suicide »

I'm seeing a lot of negativity about this thing on here and I just wanted to counteract that with a different viewpoint. I'm not the biggest fan of WSJ but this article seems to be well sourced:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have- ... 1613669731

"Amid the dire Covid warnings, one crucial fact has been largely ignored: Cases are down 77% over the past six weeks. If a medication slashed cases by 77%, we’d call it a miracle pill. Why is the number of cases plummeting much faster than experts predicted?"
Drei-6

Re: Herd Immunity on the Way?

Post by Drei-6 »

Nice read.. I can see the same in my country. Cases decreasing but for some reason experts won't talk much about it.. because people might become complacent and fail to take precautions or might decline the vaccine.. but if natural immunity already showing a good sign, why they still insist for us to take the vaccine.. kinda.. fishy hmm
Suicide

Re: Herd Immunity on the Way?

Post by Suicide »

Well the vaccine is helping with the immunity. It's just that less people will need to be vaccinated than previously estimated for us to reach the herd immunity for this particular virus. Or so that's the argument being made here. The math seems to be checking out and less than 300 Million vaccinations (in the US) will likely be enough to pretty much render this sucker relatively harmless. Not to mention way sooner before it reducing risk below pandemic status.

So the vax is important. But I don't trust the tentative fear that still gets pushed for it. "Oh get the vaccine but don't think you can not wear a mask or go to sporting events!" Which to me is utterly warped. If you want people to get the vaccine there is no better incentive for people to get it than to be honest and say we can get back to normal life faster if we reach the 300 Million number. Seems self-defeating to me.