RIP Ray Bradbury

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

RySenkari

RIP Ray Bradbury

Post by RySenkari »

One of the best science fiction authors of the 20th century, he was 91.

http://io9.com/5916175/rip-ray-bradbury ... chronicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tanakanoma

Re: RIP Ray Bradbury

Post by Tanakanoma »

Wow, I didn't realize he was still alive (until recently(. I though he passed away many years ago.
cresent34

Post by cresent34 »

Dag, you beat me to it.

Was about to do this myself.

Tank, he was still alive, but no more..
Good Night and Good Luck..

---Edward R. Murrow, See It Now, CBS
---Keith Olbermann, Olbermann, ESPN2
Zonzo

Post by Zonzo »

He was my favorite author of all time and definitely my biggest inspiration when it comes to writing. I'm going to miss him. :(
AH-64D Longbow

Post by AH-64D Longbow »

If there was ever a reason to turn off the TV and video games in favor of a book, then The Halloween Tree and Fahrenheit 451 are such books. I wish I could thank Mr. Bradbury for creating such wonderful literature to enjoy during high school. Had to read F451 for English and Lord knows how many of his short stories I read. I'm sure there are short story collections of his out there. I hope there are, goddamnit. I have almost all of Poe's works in paperback, there better be some of Bradbury.

I'm actually surprised Bradbury didn't do something like Heinlein did with his work Grumbles from the Grave. At any rate, a long and fulfilled life ends; no need for "RIP" or sad faces, but rather thank yous are in order.

I would encourage everyone to omit some TV watching, Anime browsing, and video game playing to pick up the two of his works I mentioned previously.
All I'm sayin' is: Give war a chance.
Zonzo

Post by Zonzo »

AH-64D Longbow wrote:If there was ever a reason to turn off the TV and video games in favor of a book, then The Halloween Tree and Fahrenheit 451 are such books. I wish I could thank Mr. Bradbury for creating such wonderful literature to enjoy during high school. Had to read F451 for English and Lord knows how many of his short stories I read. I'm sure there are short story collections of his out there. I hope there are, goddamnit. I have almost all of Poe's works in paperback, there better be some of Bradbury.

I'm actually surprised Bradbury didn't do something like Heinlein did with his work Grumbles from the Grave. At any rate, a long and fulfilled life ends; no need for "RIP" or sad faces, but rather thank yous are in order.

I would encourage everyone to omit some TV watching, Anime browsing, and video game playing to pick up the two of his works I mentioned previously.
There are a ton of books collecting his various short stories, so no worries there. In fact, he had been releasing collections and full blown novels as recently as a year and a half ago.

Anyone who liked his works might be interested in reading "Bradbury Speaks". It might not be comprised of actual stories (it's all essays), but each one is an engaging read that really gives you a better understanding of him and how the ideas for the stories we loved came to be.
AH-64D Longbow

Post by AH-64D Longbow »

Zonzo wrote:
AH-64D Longbow wrote:If there was ever a reason to turn off the TV and video games in favor of a book, then The Halloween Tree and Fahrenheit 451 are such books. I wish I could thank Mr. Bradbury for creating such wonderful literature to enjoy during high school. Had to read F451 for English and Lord knows how many of his short stories I read. I'm sure there are short story collections of his out there. I hope there are, goddamnit. I have almost all of Poe's works in paperback, there better be some of Bradbury.

There are a ton of books collecting his various short stories, so no worries there. In fact, he had been releasing collections and full blown novels as recently as a year and a half ago.

Anyone who liked his works might be interested in reading "Bradbury Speaks". It might not be comprised of actual stories (it's all essays), but each one is an engaging read that really gives you a better understanding of him and how the ideas for the stories we loved came to be.
Oh thank Buddha, then. I'd seriously be upset if his brilliant short stories didn't get a compilation of some kind.
All I'm sayin' is: Give war a chance.