Kelly Thompson will be writing BIRDS OF PREY in Fall 2023!

Alerts on upcoming DiD scenes in television shows and movies.

Moderator: Suicide

Zorro

Kelly Thompson will be writing BIRDS OF PREY in Fall 2023!

Post by Zorro »

I feel strange posting this as an "alert," more like a tip. Anyway, comic book writer Kelly Thompson has officially ended her exclusive contract with Marvel by being attached to relaunch BIRDS OF PREY with artist Leonardo Romero (who drew HAWKEYE with her). She is steadily announcing her roster and confirmed Black Canary, the Cassandra Cain Batgirl, and Big Barda, with two more to go. She's been revealing them on Twitter, Substack, and Facebook. If I had to guess, Barbara Gordon will be involved somewhere, and likely Huntress, but all bets are off.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/06/07/kelly ... fall-2023/

I consider this a "tip" because I and many of us who have read her body of work since 2016 highly suspect that she's "one of us." Nearly everything she has worked on over the last 7 years has had a DID, GID, or CID scene in it eventually. She gets bonus points for writing such scenes with Shadowcat and Captain Marvel (who in her 50 issue run has been restrained with magic chains and tentacles of various kinds many times).

I could be off; she wrote Black Widow for a year and only did one milquetoast scene with Yelena Belova. But, it was STILL a DID scene, is what I am getting at. All lady team, leader who is rendered powerless by a gag, it seems like a run to watch for fans like us. 8)
Suicide

Re: Kelly Thompson will be writing BIRDS OF PREY in Fall 2023!

Post by Suicide »

Yup! I haven't been this excited for a DC book in a long time. :P But for very specific reasons. Always welcome to more Black Canary full treatments. We will undoubtedly get some in this run.
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

I always feel like I am jinxing it, but Thompson usually is consistent about this.

FYI, the fourth member of her squad is Zealot from WildC.A.T.S. She promised at least one member who'd never been on the team before, and this qualifies.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/zea ... 20112.html

EDIT: The last member of the team, to the surprise of few, is Harley Quinn. Honestly, I think Zealot is the only member who was never associated to the team before.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/birds-of-pre ... awn-of-dc/

Ironically, while I doubt Thompson has any impact on variant covers, but the variant for the first issue by Chris Bachalo features Harley tying up Wonder Woman with her own lasso (albeit kind of loosely).
Sailornapper

Post by Sailornapper »

Well Spirit World kinda been spoiled then as was curious on if Cass was gonna get out of it.

Curious indeed and will be checking out.
Jaozza

Post by Jaozza »

Zorro wrote: June 8th, 2023, 2:27 am I feel strange posting this as an "alert," more like a tip. Anyway, comic book writer Kelly Thompson has officially ended her exclusive contract with Marvel by being attached to relaunch BIRDS OF PREY with artist Leonardo Romero (who drew HAWKEYE with her). She is steadily announcing her roster and confirmed Black Canary, the Cassandra Cain Batgirl, and Big Barda, with two more to go. She's been revealing them on Twitter, Substack, and Facebook. If I had to guess, Barbara Gordon will be involved somewhere, and likely Huntress, but all bets are off.

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/06/07/kelly ... fall-2023/

I consider this a "tip" because I and many of us who have read her body of work since 2016 highly suspect that she's "one of us." Nearly everything she has worked on over the last 7 years has had a DID, GID, or CID scene in it eventually. She gets bonus points for writing such scenes with Shadowcat and Captain Marvel (who in her 50 issue run has been restrained with magic chains and tentacles of various kinds many times).

I could be off; she wrote Black Widow for a year and only did one milquetoast scene with Yelena Belova. But, it was STILL a DID scene, is what I am getting at. All lady team, leader who is rendered powerless by a gag, it seems like a run to watch for fans like us. 8)
I know the feeling about thinking your jinxing it, but Black Canary is usually a pretty safe bet for at least some sort of gag treatment. Just like Zatanna.
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Jaozza wrote: June 12th, 2023, 1:57 pm I know the feeling about thinking your jinxing it, but Black Canary is usually a pretty safe bet for at least some sort of gag treatment. Just like Zatanna.
Here's hoping! ;)
Jaozza

Post by Jaozza »

First issue dropped today, and it looked pretty good.
(Spoilers Ahead)

https://readcomiconline.li/Comic/Birds- ... ?id=219092

Obviously there were no treatments as this was mostly just an "assembling the team" issue. However we did get a rundown of the immediate plot. Sin, Black Canary's adopted sister, is being held and about to be killed so she recruits Stephanie Brown, Barda, Zealot, and Harley Quinn to help her rescue Sin. At the very end it's revealed that Sin is being held in Themyscira so apparently the plot is the Birds of Prey versus the Amazons. No idea where this is going to go.
Last edited by Jaozza on September 5th, 2023, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disguiseartist1

Post by disguiseartist1 »

On the subject of Kelly Thompson writing bondage scenes, literally the first page of her recent Harley Quinn story has a full treatment.

Zorro

Post by Zorro »

BIRDS OF PREY #1 debuted and while there is no DID (beyond a variant cover), the plot for the arc will involve the team venturing to Paradise Island and rescuing Black Canary's sister Sin from the Amazons.

A plot where an all woman team sneaks onto Paradise Island and rescues a captive woman from Amazons.

Suffice it to say, it is a plot which almost makes a bondage scene mandatory, and I will be disappointed if there is none.