MALE DC Character Coming Out Of The Closet, Which One?

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

ARNie

MALE DC Character Coming Out Of The Closet, Which One?

Post by ARNie »

Not sure if Vegas will take bets on this one...

One question asked at the DC panel today at Kapow, was about Dan’s interview with The Advocate in the USA. Specifically over the decision not to change any character’s sexual orientation when relaunching the DC Universe. At the time Dan stated they would introduce new LGBT characters rather than switch orientation, but the question asked why DC would switch race, size, age, all sorts of identifying features, but not orientation.

Surprisingly, DiDio stated that they had changed DC’s policy in this regard. And they ae about to reintroduce a previously existing DC character who was previously straight and now will be “one of our most prominent gay characters.”

From Bleedingcool:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/20/ ... tion-soon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Time for an addendum, it's a few posts down, or you can check it out here:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... ntly-male/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ARNie on May 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suicide

Re: DC Character Coming Out Of The Closet?

Post by Suicide »

Cuz that is SO important in the ways of story telling...
laura silverman

Post by laura silverman »

"One of our most prominent gay characters." Yeah, because as everyone knows, that is the single most important character trait of a superhero. Parents murdered in an alley by a mugger? Orphaned survivor of a doomed planet? Warrior leaves mother and home to bring justice to the world? (Hmmm...I'm seeing a pattern here ;) ) No! None of those things matter!!! The only thing that matters is their sexual orientation!

This is the reason I find DC's storytelling and characters vastly inferior to Marvel's. One of my favorite Marvel characters happens to be Victoria Hand. And one of the myriad things I like about her portrayal is that she happens to be gay and it's not a big deal. She's not "One Of Our Most Prominent Gay Characters." Her idealism and adorably irritating personality, not her homosexuality, define her just as Captain America's idealism or Hawkeye's rebelliousness define them, not their heterosexuality. Well...maybe In Hawkeye's case. If Clint's proven anything, it's that he'll hit on anything with 2 T's and an A. They don't call him Hawkeye for nothing! :lol:
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

DC has (or HAD) those characters too. Rene Montoya comes to mind. She's a no-nonsense cop who later became the Question (whoops that's rectoned too! Thanks New 52). She's gay but its not the single defining characteristic. The same can be said of Batwoman, though you'd never know it the way DC publicized it with every media buy and presser they could route through... It's a matter of an EoC being a massive douche rather than lack in the character's portrayal.
laura silverman

Post by laura silverman »

That's right! I completely forgot about Montoya. I guess it's just the fact of how DC is making such a BIG DEAL (and I'm sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with publicity and marketing sales, right...) out of this that I find really annoying.
erikson

Post by erikson »

when DC wants publicity they change a character's sexuality, when Marvel wants publicity they just randomly murder characters (Ultimate Spider-Man I'm looking at you) ;)

I just hope it isn't Wonder Woman I've heard rumblings about that...
whoistheshadownow

Post by whoistheshadownow »

erikson wrote:when DC wants publicity they change a character's sexuality, when Marvel wants publicity they just randomly murder characters (Ultimate Spider-Man I'm looking at you) ;)

It's not - apparently they ar emale, and they have not yet been re-introduced into the New 52.

Suddenly, I'm very afraid for Billy Batson...
It's the quiet, unobvious ones that you have to watch.

Read tales of ordinary women in distress - http://www.kppresents.com
erikson

Post by erikson »

whoistheshadownow wrote:
erikson wrote:when DC wants publicity they change a character's sexuality, when Marvel wants publicity they just randomly murder characters (Ultimate Spider-Man I'm looking at you) ;)

It's not - apparently they ar emale, and they have not yet been re-introduced into the New 52.

Suddenly, I'm very afraid for Billy Batson...

Billy has been intro'd so I have no worries...and I really don't want to see them sexing up some underage characters. Maybe it's Vibe (who I don't care about) who is set be be re-intro'd (back by unpopular demand!)
Nezz

Post by Nezz »

Does it really matter where a fictional character parks their privates?
My children called me "Daddy". My wife called me "Milien". Now the world will learn to call me... NOX...
Jazzypants

Post by Jazzypants »

Nezz wrote:Does it really matter where a fictional character parks their privates?
The phrase "Our most prominent gay character" seems to indicate that apparently, yes, it does. At least to DC.
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

Does it really matter where a fictional character parks their privates?
I suppose it does when every comic has their characters sexing on panel now.
rider28031

Post by rider28031 »

I'm starting to lose faith in comics now. First they kill off a character and replace them with a mixed-minority character to boost declining sales and now they're needlessly changing a hero's orientation to generate buzz. I think I'll live depending on who it is but we'll find out next month.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/21/ ... onic-male/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So tell me, who's considered an iconic male but hasn't been re-introduced into the DCnU?
erikson

Post by erikson »

rider28031 wrote: So tell me, who's considered an iconic male but hasn't been re-introduced into the DCnU?
Wally West? Someone on Earth 2?
rider28031

Post by rider28031 »

erikson wrote:
rider28031 wrote: So tell me, who's considered an iconic male but hasn't been re-introduced into the DCnU?
Wally West? Someone on Earth 2?
Since the story's in June, It's possible it's someone on Earth 2 but we'll find out soon enough
ARNie

Re: MALE DC Character Coming Out Of The Closet, Which One?

Post by ARNie »

An update, though now I'm speculating DC's doing this because of the same-sex marriage Marvel is having in one of their June books:

Although readers will have to wait until sometime in June — perhaps not coincidentally, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month — to learn which established DC Comics character will be reintroduced as gay, we already know at least two details: It’s a major character (better luck next time, Doll Man), and it’s a guy.

Again, you can check out the entire article here:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... ntly-male/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;