How do you come up with a good OC

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

ilove2cgw

How do you come up with a good OC

Post by ilove2cgw »

I've been thinking for a while now about coming up with an OC of my own...however,whenever I give it some thought,I somehow feel that whatever I come up with is either too cliche or too shallow...

So,since so many people here have so many quality OCs,I was wondering if anyone was willing to share some insight into the art of OC creation...
Nezz

Re: How do you come up with a good OC

Post by Nezz »

Don't do it for the sake of bandwagoning.
My children called me "Daddy". My wife called me "Milien". Now the world will learn to call me... NOX...
Cao Cao the Deciever

Post by Cao Cao the Deciever »

At least you recognize that what you had created was shallow, or cliche, that's a start.

But if you're going to create an OC, you have to really be invested in having an original character. Be honest with yourself, are you creating a character that's part of a larger story, that you can have fun with? Or are you just creating your "ideal bondage bait" to fap to?

If it's the former, then kudos to you. If it's the latter...well I'm not going to go into that.
ilove2cgw

Post by ilove2cgw »

At first it was slightly leaning towards bondage bait,which is why it sucked,and I don't want it that way...what I'm interested in is creating a decent OC which can be put into a normal tale,yet again can be in a distress situation...
Zonzo

Post by Zonzo »

It certainly sounds like you're putting some thought into the creation process for you to want to step up beyond that. Honestly, coming up with your own character can be a tricky process. You have to really dig deep and consider what you might like in a character and, most importantly, what kind of stories you would like to tell with them. I think the most important aspect as Cao Cao touched upon is to make a character that can be applied to other, normal situations first and foremost, but can be used in bondage scenarios on the sly as well.The creation process should, ideally, be character first, bondage scenarios second (or third, or fourth, etc, just not specifically the first thing on your mind).

Take a look at a lot of established characters in various mediums, for example. These characters usually have a strong basis to them, a core that can be branched off from to tell all kinds of stories featuring them. You know how it can often be more satisfying seeing a favorite character of yours featured in a piece of fanart that depicts them in bondage, versus seeing a character you aren't too familiar with? The fact that you know them, that you've had time to come to learn and appreciate their character is a huge part of it.

An interesting design is a nice start, but actually making someone come to care or feel invested in a character will go a long way. Think of it like a book - you can make the title and front cover as eye-catching as possible, but unless you actually fill its contents with something interesting, people won't really feel invested enough to stick around, you know? Try starting simple, and think about what you are interested in beyond just bondage...then see to taking those elements and concepts and refining them into something that will get other people to want to feel invested in it as well.

I hope that rambling made a lick of sense.
Suichiro

Post by Suichiro »

IMO, if you have a story to tell, then a character will develop on their own. If you have a particular fixation, a person will evolve from the characteristics you're looking for. If you're looking to express yourself, then your self image will crystallize into a character automatically.

If you are creating a character just to create a character, it's going to come off as shallow and forgettable. Do not try to be "one of the cool kids" and make an OC for the hell of it. In my very opinionated view, it's insulting to those of us who have legitimate reasons for having OCs. I didn't make one because I wanted to have fap fodder or for it (and by extension myself) to be popular. I have an OC because it's my way of channeling important parts of myself in a positive way.

If you have a legitimate reason for bringing a fleshed out character into the world, then I'm positive that everyone here would be helpful in guiding you.
ilove2cgw

Post by ilove2cgw »

As I've said,in the past it was about just making some shallow bondage bait and being one of the "cool guys"...and if you look at my DA gallery,it all sucked hard(going to clean all of that crap out one of these days)...but now,I want to actually create a normal character I can actually have fun with...

All that you've said has really gotten me thinking about stuff,thank you all for pointing some things out,it has helped me realize quite a few things...
Suichiro

Post by Suichiro »

Then I would say, the most important thing is to decide what elements you want your OC to have and what you're not going to get tired of, months down the line. Is she spunky, emotional, demanding, easy-going, quiet, quick tempered, kind, or shy? Think about a type of person you'd like to know in RL. This will wind up making up not only the core personality of your character, but also influence their looks as well as their wardrobe.