Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes Officially Canceled

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

Suichiro

Re: Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes Officially Canceled

Post by Suichiro »

I've heard conflicting reports here. One side says that the ratings were bad, but there's another camp that's been saying it's gotten consistent viewership and ratings. I think it likely had okay ratings, but that wasn't enough for Marvel.
disguiseartist1

Post by disguiseartist1 »

Well thing is putting it on Disney XD in the first place was a bad idea. Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon both have larger audiences because way more people actually get those channels. It's possible they just weren't seeing satisfactory ratings to continue pumping money into it.
Nezz

Post by Nezz »

Marvel's cartoons and Disney XD are pretty much inseparable now.
My children called me "Daddy". My wife called me "Milien". Now the world will learn to call me... NOX...
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

The main story of why Loeb is making this decision is because he wants to launch a consistent universe that match the Ultimate Spiderman series as well as has a larger appeal to kids.

Meanwhile back in the 90's:

Every Kid: *Watches the insanely adult X-men cartoon.*
disguiseartist1

I don't think they said they wanted to make it more kid friendly? Everything I've heard says they want to make it more like the movie.
- According to Agent X, Avengers Assemble is the most ambitious TV animation project for marvel, ever. Unlike, Ultimate Spider-man and Hulk Agents of SMASH, the new Avengers show is taking cues from the successful Marvel Cinematic Universe, and from the thousands of angry fans comments towards the direction of Ultimate Spider-man. As a result the new show WILL NOT be in the same universe as Ultimate Spidey, nor is it in the same universe as Hulk and the Agents of SMASH.
- While still a cartoon, Avengers Assemble will be taking itself seriously and trying to appeal to both kids and hardcore fans.
http://www.marveltvnews.com/2012/06/13/ ... tv-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's of course a rumor mill, but the same guy was spot on when he leaked that Marvel was gonna cancel EMH and replaced it with a movie-like show.
Suichiro

Post by Suichiro »

It's been well established at this point that Loeb is against any sort of continuity. He wants simple, episodic series that appeal to what he believes kids want. He thinks that having an ongoing story that progresses from episode to episode is too deep for kids to handle and thus he's killing it off wherever he can.

That's not opinion, you can read about it in quite the number of different news sites.
rider28031

Post by rider28031 »

Suichiro wrote:It's been well established at this point that Loeb is against any sort of continuity. He wants simple, episodic series that appeal to what he believes kids want. He thinks that having an ongoing story that progresses from episode to episode is too deep for kids to handle and thus he's killing it off wherever he can.

That's not opinion, you can read about it in quite the number of different news sites.
He clearly hasn't heard of Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra, has he?
disguiseartist1

Sure but simple and episodic doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be awful. Aside from the occasional two-parter Batman The Animated Series was mostly made up of done-in-one stories with no overreaching plotlines. And while not as good, Brave and the Bold still did mostly one-shot episodes and was still very enjoyable.

I don't think the fact that the new Avengers show is gonna be made up one single stories means it's destined to suck. Especially if that article is correct and they aren't planning on making it humorous and annoying like Ultimate Spider-Man.
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

Seems the initial thought behind its cancelation was wrong then. I had always heard he wanted to insert the Avengers in a more Ultimate Spiderman direction but I suppose that just meant putting the characters into the that cartoon itself.

I'm not overtly against the idea of doing a movie based Avengers series. Hell I'm not even a huge hater of Ultimate Spidey. It just saddens and annoys me that this is the SECOND time a very well thought out series that is faithful to the source material is being canceled for little more reason that executive mandate.

They claimed sub-par ratings for Spectacular Spiderman when they were making way for Ultimate but the fact is they never promoted Spectacular the same way they are promoting Ultimate Spidey. It was lost in the transition of WB Network losing its Saturday morning block and being moved to a higher up channel with less viewers. I'd be shocked if any series maintained viewership after that big of a whiplash.
Suichiro

Post by Suichiro »

disguiseartist1 wrote:Sure but simple and episodic doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be awful.
That's not what people are mad about. If you'd check out the reactions from everyone, you can tell that people are mad they're doing it by *cancelling* an already established quality show. This, combined with the stupid shit we've already covered via various news sites in this thread, it's pretty obvious that something is up.

I mean, why would they take extra time, effort and namely *money* to redub over VA lines that were already recorded? Especially when they've never cared about keeping VA continuity and didn't bother to keep continuity in the Ultimate Spiderman when the Avengers showed up.
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

I mean, why would they take extra time, effort and namely *money* to redub over VA lines that were already recorded? Especially when they've never cared about keeping VA continuity and didn't bother to keep continuity in the Ultimate Spiderman when the Avengers showed up.

Yeah that was bizarre! Strange that they didn't even contact Josh Keaton to let him know his casting was re-dubbed. Not that they completely owe him an explanation since he got a paycheck either way, but it still seems like a lack of professionalism to sneak in a new dub with no word the casting roll was changed for an episode.
disguiseartist1

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/19/ ... pider-man/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heh. Apparently one of the guys talking about EMH being cancelled was just a single obsessed Loeb hater who fabriacated Facebook pages and stuff to bolster his rumors.

Assemble is still confirmed to air, but it looks like a lot of this stuff was bullshit.