Does it bother people if an artist draws the same pose all the time?

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

Daikinbakuju

Does it bother people if an artist draws the same pose all the time?

Post by Daikinbakuju »

Like any other DID fans, the artist has their own favorite poses, restraints and gags (or a preference to no gags).

If I were to draw 10 pictures and they all have the same hands-behind-back pose, would people like it the way it is or prefer if there were more positions?
Unless there is a reason for it (commissioner request, story script, etc.) I wouldn't draw any other pose than hands-behind-back, due to being a snob for it.
Rindfan

Re: Does it bother people if an artist draws the same pose all the time?

Post by Rindfan »

I too am a complete snob for having a girl's hands tied behind her back when she's tied up. Not only does it look better, it's the more effective way to restrain her. :)

As for the question, my answer would be based on the answer to this question: Is the 'camera angle' the exact same as well as the pose? I would assume that it would be, personally, so my answer is simply "not really".

See, as long as the pose is pleasing to me and the art is good - a foregone conclusion in your case - then I have no issue whatsoever with an artist reusing things like poses. After all, given that my #1 thing is girls caught by one ankle in a snare trap, there's only so many ways one can pose that, I suspect...so if I'm commissioning art of snared girls, I don't really get snippy on the poses. :D

That said, I have my own peculiar 'quirks' of how I like to see things, even in that case, so I guess it all ultimately boils down to how incredibly nitpicky we are as individuals. :D
Flatjoker500

Post by Flatjoker500 »

As some one who commissions a lot, I will just say this. It depends on the commissioner.

There are some independent artists, who earn enough and can make a living off Pateron. My opinion does not apply to them.

For the other Artists who rely on commissions to make a significant amount of living, the pose, the gags, the background, the way they are tied, all depends totally on me as the commissioner. Afterall I am paying for it. If the same pose is what I want, then the same pose is what I will get. Because I am buying that service from the artist. Now If other people get tired of seeing the same pose or Gags or clothes, then the soultion is, Dont look at the art.
Sailornapper

Post by Sailornapper »

Thought at first talking about on Tracer Jim Lee and Greg Land who now so notice the same poses and faces so much.
Daikinbakuju

Post by Daikinbakuju »

Flatjoker500 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 8:21 am As some one who commissions a lot, I will just say this. It depends on the commissioner.

There are some independent artists, who earn enough and can make a living off Pateron. My opinion does not apply to them.

For the other Artists who rely on commissions to make a significant amount of living, the pose, the gags, the background, the way they are tied, all depends totally on me as the commissioner. Afterall I am paying for it. If the same pose is what I want, then the same pose is what I will get. Because I am buying that service from the artist. Now If other people get tired of seeing the same pose or Gags or clothes, then the soultion is, Dont look at the art.
But what if it's personal and non-commission? As I asked in my question, is it tiring if 99% of my artworks are girls with their hands tied behind their backs?
Flatjoker500

Post by Flatjoker500 »

If its personal and non commission then do what ever you want. I would not say tiring, but then people will know you as the artist who only knows how to draw "that one style with arms around the back".
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

Thinking of what pose to do is the main thing stopping me from paying for more commissions. No joke, if I wanted to I could just splurge two or three thousand toward artists for bondage commissions without financial issues (thanks Congress), not knowing what poses to use is the one thing stopping me. :lol:
Fuck yeah, Gundam SEED is coming back!