Dolphin Blue

Video Game characters here.

Moderator: Suicide

Daikinbakuju

Dolphin Blue

Post by Daikinbakuju »

This is a side-scrolling shoot 'em up developed by Sammy back in 2003.
In this game, the two protagonist are either on foot, swimming or riding their trusted dolphins into battle.
The story is about the kingdom of Bluetear being attacked by an evil empire (because we all know kingdoms are good and empires are evil).

Right off the bat, the princess of Bluetear gets taken away in chapter 1:

You see the princess again a little later, still being dragged away by the same aircraft:

At the start of chapter 2, you see the princess in a mini-sub, with a window conveniently showing her in distress:

While in the middle of fighting underwater, the princess is seen being marched by two goons inside a larger submarine:

After destroying most of the enemies on top of the said submarine, the princess gets taken away again:

At the start of chapter 3, you chase the princess in a flooded mine, where she is taken away in a mine cart:

Once you leave the mines and enter a sunken city, she is now taken away on a jet ski:

At the end of the chase, she is seen atop the train boss you're supposed to fight:

But wait... why is she laughing?

It was the boss in disguise all along!

Unless there was a blink-and-miss scene, the princess is not seen throughout chapter 4 but you finally reach her at the end of chapter 5, the final stage of the game:

But the big bad has other plans:

The boss is defeated!
The princess pokes out of the wreckage and everybody celebrates:

... prematurely:

The princess is carried away yet again and you have to fight the true final battle:

The final boss is gone for good this time.
The princess and the heroes celebrate a proper final victory:

Close-up of the princess:
boundy22

Re: Dolphin Blue

Post by boundy22 »

Daikinbakuju

Post by Daikinbakuju »

This is the only game I can think of at the moment where the princess is seen bound from the beginning all the way to the credits.
She just poses with the rest of the gang while still tied up.
TheNoMoreAnon

Post by TheNoMoreAnon »

Is her hands bound behind her back, or is she just complying due to literally being held at gun-point?
Daikinbakuju

Post by Daikinbakuju »

TheNoMoreAnon wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:10 pm Is her hands bound behind her back, or is she just complying due to literally being held at gun-point?
The restraints are unseen but all her sprites shows that her hands are behind her back.
Just before fighting the first form with the final boss, you can see her wriggle a bit, implying that she's tied up.
TheNoMoreAnon

Post by TheNoMoreAnon »

Daikinbakuju wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 4:08 pm
TheNoMoreAnon wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:10 pm Is her hands bound behind her back, or is she just complying due to literally being held at gun-point?
The restraints are unseen but all her sprites shows that her hands are behind her back.
Just before fighting the first form with the final boss, you can see her wriggle a bit, implying that she's tied up.
Maybe some day you can do a pic that will finally show her restraints then. :P

Also I wonder why she didn't just jump off the ski-boat in the waterchase level so you could pick her up. Sure, it needed to be that way for the game to continue to happen, but just something she could have done to escape earlier.
Daikinbakuju

Post by Daikinbakuju »

I forgot that I posted a GIF of it on my Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Boxtie1/status/1369164111599132677