DiD dry spell

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

SeanRulez54

DiD dry spell

Post by SeanRulez54 »

It seems that these DiD moments are getting less and less frequent. Unless more TV shows and Movies make more peril scenes, it might be the end of Damsels in Distress as we know it.
Suicide

Re: DiD dry spell

Post by Suicide »

Nope
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

We can debate whether DID's these days match or surpass the quality and/or frequency of previous eras (the 1980's and 1990's especially), but DID will never vanish completely. It's a basic story trope, especially in animation where there often are limits on violence.

Heck, just today Yeti posted a pretty good scene from a 2017 animated movie. That's pretty recent. Actually, one of the better CGI ones, I'd say.

But, no, DID will never vanish. Remember, it's more than just U.S. cartoons, there is Japanese anime and European cartoons. But regardless, it will never vanish so long as "character gets captured" is a part of fiction.
Ieon

Post by Ieon »

No
Send manga requests/tips via PM here, commenting on the Scene List, or on Twitter.
Postimage gallery links for each update can be found here and you can check what manga I'm currently working on by checking the aforementioned twitter account.
DiD/Bondage Tumblr here.
Aquarionoid

Post by Aquarionoid »

Wokeness has had some inertia since it got mainstream in 2013 and there's no doubt that's had an effect in American entertainment, but that will eventually subside in the next big paradigm shift be it from MGTOW, a conservative take over of the media, boomers being replaced with gen X, or the public being tired of being lectured to in general. Astrologers blame Neptune in Pisces which makes things sensitive and dreamy which is why everything is woke now and in 2025 it'll be in Aries to make imaginations masculine again.... And last time that happened was the American Civil War. Point is it's temporary and even if it lasts a while there's still the hidden gems and places like DeviantArt and /aco/.
Fuck yeah, Gundam SEED is coming back!
RySenkari

Post by RySenkari »

I don't think it's as bad as you think. Carmen Sandiego had a ton of scenes, the new She-Ra had full treatments for both Adora and Catra, the new Scooby-Doo cartoon is producing a few, and I have a good feeling about season 2 of The Owl House coming later this year hopefully.
erikson

Post by erikson »

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!

There was never an overwhelming flood of scenes, you just see them all complied on a list somewhere and imagine them as such.
Flatjoker500

Post by Flatjoker500 »

Actually I have to agree. the scenes are drying up. Back before a few years we use to see Summer, spring, winter etc in different places. Now a days they almost dont exist. The last good one was back in 2019
Zorro

Post by Zorro »

Yeti just posted one from a European cartoon yesterday.

Again, it's debatable if the frequency and/or quality of DID has "dipped" since the "golden era" of the 70's to the 90's for a variety of reasons. But DID will never go away because the trope of "someone gets restrained for reasons" is a fundamental trope of fiction. Since half of all characters tend to be female, then it's kind of inevitable for a scene to happen somewhere.

Plus every day resourceful people find new or old scenes from series internationally. It's not just the U.S., there is Japan, Europe, China, India, Mexico, etc. And of course, everyone's idea of "good" is subjective.

I suppose "dry spells" can happen, or seem to happen. I just find it harder to believe when this very forum tends to have an update in the screencaps or alerts section daily if not weekly.

I wonder if a part of it is perception. Yes, DID happened a lot in cartoons from the 80's and 90's but it wasn't always a weekly thing. Take April O'Neil, one of the "queens of DID" from the 1987 TMNT cartoon. I once literally calculated how many episodes she was captured and tied up in (not peril, or put in a bag, or rolled into a carpet; just chained or tied) to make a ratio. It came to about 1 out of every 8-9 episodes. That's a TON for a 190 episode series, but still means plenty of DID free episodes.
Suicide

Post by Suicide »

Flatjoker500 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 11:13 am Actually I have to agree. the scenes are drying up. Back before a few years we use to see Summer, spring, winter etc in different places. Now a days they almost dont exist.
That is just demonstratively untrue.
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Suicide wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:06 pm
Flatjoker500 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 11:13 am Actually I have to agree. the scenes are drying up. Back before a few years we use to see Summer, spring, winter etc in different places. Now a days they almost dont exist.
That is just demonstratively untrue.
I agree with Suicide
Just because no one decided to keep up with the quarterly posts doesn't mean a lack of scenes. Just a lack of people searching as much as before AND posting. Check out Movi-Viento on DA and look at the SHEER number of scenes he shares. Many are from current and recent series.
R291

Post by R291 »

I've got a lil' too much alcohol in my system to give any meaningful input, but I'd like to note how the subject of this thread reminds me of a post I made on DevArt's forums several years ago.
Why hello! I make art, yes! DiD GiD and other stuff is featured in my gallery! Please check it out here: https://www.deviantart.com/rage291
DrProton

Post by DrProton »

I think there still is lots of good DiD nowadays, and while wokeness may have had influence on a lot of things but DiD scenes doesn't look like it's one of them.

Sidenote: I love the current trend of strong female protagonists because I LOVE kick-ass girls and LOVE even more when they get the treatment... It's just so hot when after being bound and gagged the brash, fiery gal turns into a meek, defenseless damsel, the contrast between the two personalities is the best thing ever for me.
RySenkari

Post by RySenkari »

I find it more fun when the brash fiery girl stays brash and fiery and we get to hear lots of pissed off mmphing through her tight gag.

Which is why it's such a shame that Cassandra missed out on a gag in Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure, so many close calls and tie-ups but she wound up dodging gags like Neo dodging bullets in The Matrix.
DrProton

Post by DrProton »

RySenkari wrote: September 13th, 2021, 6:40 pm I find it more fun when the brash fiery girl stays brash and fiery and we get to hear lots of pissed off mmphing through her tight gag.
Oh, I agree with that, that's just wonderful! But I like the "turns into a submissive and meek damsel" variety too :D