She's Back... Batgirl #1

Talk about anything you want here. From current events to nerd news to pointless ranting. All's fair here.

Moderator: Suicide

j-c

Re: She's Back... Batgirl #1

Post by j-c »

rider28031 wrote: To be fair, I was actually never used to seeing Barbara in a wheelchair, even though she had great character development. This is probably coming from growing up with the Batman: TAS show but when I think Batgirl, I automaticaly think of a redhead behind the cowl, not a blonde girl or an asian-american girl. Odd enough, the only reason I liked the Stephanie Brown version was because she reminded me of Barbara alot.
I'm with you on most of this...I didn't like her role as Oracle, despite that they did do a lot with her. Because of that I wasn't satisfied with Batgirl until Steph. And I admit that I never thought I would accept her in the Batgirl role but she is an awful good fit.

Barbara or Steph? Win-win either way if you ask me!

- JC
Bill K.

Re: She's Back... Batgirl #1

Post by Bill K. »

rider28031 wrote:
Bill K. wrote:I'm kind of sad to lose Oracle, though. I thought Barbara was a more mature character as Oracle than as Batgirl.
To be fair, I was actually never used to seeing Barbara in a wheelchair, even though she had great character development. This is probably coming from growing up with the Batman: TAS show but when I think Batgirl, I automaticaly think of a redhead behind the cowl, not a blonde girl or an asian-american girl. Odd enough, the only reason I liked the Stephanie Brown version was because she reminded me of Barbara alot.
Well I've got you beat. I was there when Barbara Gordon first appeared in the comics. So I've literally grown up with her. But it didn't mean she ALWAYS had to be Batgirl, at least not to me. Oracle was the visualization of the character's inner strength and drive. Batgirl was her inner hero worship and moral outrage.

It doesn't mean I accepted anyone else in the Batgirl role. But, to me, it didn't mean Barbara had to be confined to only being Batgirl all of her life.

Still, comics are transitory at times. Some editor will come along and do something different to goose sales or establish that editor's "vision" on things. If I want to read about Oracle, the old comics still exist.
Catwoman: Think you can handle me?
Batman: I've got handcuffs.
Catwoman: Ooh.